Re: "Officially" deprecating main-thread synchronous XHR?

On Feb 7, 2014, at 9:18 AM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2014 8:57 AM, "Domenic Denicola" <domenic@domenicdenicola.com> wrote:
> >
> > From: Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>
> >
> > > And at least we'd improve responsiveness of those websites which stop using sync XHR because of the warning.
> >
> > I think this is a great point that makes such an effort worthwhile even if it ends up not leading to euthanizing sync XHR.
>
> Agreed. I think for this to be effective we need to get multiple browser vendors being willing to add such a warning. We would also need to add text to the various versions of the spec (whatwg and w3c).
>
> Which browsers are game? (I think mozilla is). Which spec editors are?

I usually hate deprecation warnings because I think they are ineffective and time-wasting. But this case may be worthy of an exception. In addition to console warnings in browsers and the alert in the spec, it might be useful to have a concerted documentation and outreach effort (e.g. blog posts on the topic) as an additional push to get Web developers to stop using sync XHR.

Regards,
Maciej