Re: Refactoring SharedWorkers out of Web Workers W3C spec

On 12/11/13 6:39 AM, ext Simon Pieters wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 22:09:38 +0100, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
> wrote:
>
>> We at Mozilla just finished our implementation of Shared Workers. It
>> will be turned on in the nightly releases starting tomorrow (or maybe
>> thursday) and will hit release on April 29th.
>
> Excellent.

Yes indeed!

>> So if we are only reason we're doing anything here is lack of a 2nd
>> implementation, then we might already be good.
>
> The premise here appears to be that Presto doesn't count. Why?
>
> Presto has been shipping shared workers for 3,5 years now (introduced
> in Opera 10.60). As far as I can tell Presto-based Opera products
> match the definition of "implementation" in the CR exit criteria.

One of the issues here is  `missing data`. The first Call for workers
Test Results was sent over a half-year ago and another one a few weeks
before WebApps' Shenzhen meeting. Despite those requests, the workers
implementation report [IR] remains empty.

Simon - would you please add results for Presto?

Kinuko - would you please add results for Chrome (as you said you would
do in Shenzhen [Mins])?

Travis - would you please add results for IE?

Another issue is that during the related discussion in Shenzhen, I don't
think this new info from Jonas was available. Jonas - can someone please
run the tests on FF Nightly (see [IR] or the test suite [Tests])?

Depending on the test results, it might make sense to (re)consider if it
still makes sense to create a spec of without shared workers.

-Thanks, ArtB

[IR] <http://www.w3.org/wiki/Webapps/Interop/WebWorkers>
[Tests] <http://w3c-test.org/web-platform-tests/master/workers/>
[Mins] <http://www.w3.org/2013/11/12-webapps-minutes.html#item08>