Re: File API for Review

On Feb 13, 2013, at 11:37 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

>> Specification bugs still exist
>
> I think we should rename URI to URL. That's what everyone is converging on.

Done.

> I'm also not convinced that leaving what exactly to return in the HTTP
> scenario open to implementors is a good thing.

(There isn't an HTTP scenario here).

> So what I actually think we should do here is treat this as a networkerror. XMLHttpRequest already knows about that concept and every other end point also deals with network errors in a predictable and standardized way. Phrasing such as "Act as if a network error occurred" seems sufficient for now (until Fetch provides hooks).

We're not actually leaving what exactly to return open to implementors.  They *must* return a 500.  They *may* additionally provide a message, which is akin to console messages.  Also, networkerror isn't really strongly defined; XMLHttpRequest uses this to throw on network errors (NetworkError), and there isn't currently a Fetch in HTML that leverages networkerrors.  This is not obviously reusable here in the blob: URL context.

The spec. doesn't need to mention anything about throwing -- we're returning a 500 if a blob: URL cannot be dereferenced, not throwing an exception.  This is specific, and not left to implementations to determine.

Done (and uses most of your proposed changes): http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/#encoding-determination

> I don't think we should throw for limitations on URL length. We always
> leave undefined lengths unaddressed in specifications, including with
> regards to how to handle them.

Done.

-- A*