Re: [webcomponents]: What callbacks do custom elements need?

Just to be clear, these are callbacks (right?), meaning synchronous
executions on one specific node. That is a far cry from the old issues with
mutation events and nightmarish bubbling scenarios. Come on folks, let's be
pragmatic and honest, there are far worse events in use today, and the web
is still alive and kicking: mousemove, mouseover, mouseout, resize, etc.
Most/all of these kinds of existing, perf-intensive events bubble and are
fired with far more frequency than attribute changes on a node - further,
devs can always debounce the calls if they please.

Devs probably don't care if these things are fired sync, as long as when
they do fire, they fire once and the value/changes aren't stale. Honestly,
ready/created, inserted, and removed wouldn't be an issue if they map to
micro tasks, right? (as long as the final callback is not stale). If
attribute change callbacks are your worry, Brian Kardell mentioned
something sensible, give people a way to whitelist just the ones that they
want to watch for - assuming that is faster than simply telling devs to use
basic if/switch logic inside the callback.

There are many options here, let's not have an API-degrading, whopper
freakout over a nascent concern of a fringe perf issue that is, to a large
extent, self-mitigating/healing. (devs generally don't want to have slow
crappy apps - built-in incentives to not suck are usually the best kind)

Daniel J. Buchner
Product Manager, Developer Ecosystem
Mozilla Corporation