Re: [screen-orient] why not provide at CSSOM API to CSS Device Adaptation instead?

Sounds reasonable. I think the main things that are missing are
explanations of the knock-on effects of Device Adaptation (and the meta
viewport tag).

For example the CSSOM View <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/cssom-view/> module
claims that all its dimensions are in CSS
pixels<http://dev.w3.org/csswg/cssom-view/#css-pixels>.
But if you look at what mobile browsers return for something like
screen.width, they either return Device Independent Pixels (DIPs) or
physical device pixels. It's only for things like window.innerWidth that
mobile browsers actually return a value in CSS pixels. Now, returning DIPs
does in fact best match the intent of the spec for screen.width
(indeed the definition
of a CSS pixel <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-values/#reference-pixel> is
actually the definition of a DIP, and they used to be the same thing until
pinch zoom and viewports made them scale independently); but the CSS specs
need to accept that there are more kinds of pixels than there used to be,
and fix these ambiguities, if we want mobile browsers to converge on a
single behaviour.