Re: Blob URLs | autoRevoke, defaults, and resolutions

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

> I'd be worried about letting any resolved URL to hold a reference to
> the Blob. We are playing very fast and loose with URLs in Gecko and
> it's never been intended that they hold on to any resources of
> significant size.

Note that I'm not suggesting that every invocation of the resolve algorithm
start capturing blob URLs.  It'd be an explicit operation at entry points
that support it, not a catch-all happening behind the scenes any time you
resolve a URL anywhere.  (Actually, I went a bit further--entry points that
don't explicitly do this shouldn't allow autorevoke URLs at all.)

The actual change required in the particular entry points might be as
simple as saying "resolve URL with capture" instead of "resolve URL" to
invoke a wrapper algorithm, but it lets it be introduced gradually and make
it clear exactly where it happens.

--
Glenn Maynard