Re: CfC: publish WD of XHR; deadline November 29

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 6:34 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>wrote:

>> > since you don't say what is misleading, and since commit messages are
>> > irrelevant for W3C process, this  objection is immaterial
>>
>> Ms2ger objected to the change, not the commit message, so your
>> objection to the objection is misplaced.
>>
>> However, the commit message isn't long, so it's not difficult to
>> puzzle out what ey might be referring to.  In this case, it's the
>> implication that changing a bunch of normative references from WHATWG
>> specs to W3C copies of the specs is somehow necessary "according to
>> pubrules".
>>

> Then whomever ms2ger is should say so. In any case, there  is no reason to
> reference a WHATWG document if there is a W3C counterpart.

Sure there is if the W3C version is stale, as is the case here.  That
commit replaced a link to http://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/, last updated roughly
a week ago, with a link to http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest/ which is
dated January 17th and is missing an entire section (section 6).  It also
replaced a link to http://fetch.spec.whatwg.org/# with
http://www.w3.org/TR/cors/# which is similarly out of date by the better
part of a year and lacking handling for some HTTP status codes.  Every
single reference updated in this commit changed the document to point to an
out-of-date and less valuable resource.

It seems that you, like the author of the commit message, mistakenly think
it's a goal to replace all links to point to W3C resources even when they
are strictly worse.  That's not in the W3C pub rules or a good idea.

- James