Re: [admin] XHR ED Boilerplate

Warning. This discussion seems by and large non-technical bike-shedding
for political purposes, which I have tried to stay away from. But some
important points are drowning in rhetorical over the several threads that
have dealt with this "issue".

In particular I note consensus that we don't want to misrepresent
contribution to the work. I considered it obvious - it is how civil adults
work and it is an accepted part of W3C process and practice.

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 00:34:02 +0400, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:

> Is Anne the *sole* author?

As I understand it, Anne wrote the words of various specifications. In
other words, the person whose "artistic expression" is reflected in the
document. Although various bits of boilerplate are just pattern
repetition. he also did a significant proportion of the testing, thinking,
and developing the content at a conceptual level.

But no, I believe other people did parts of this work, unless Anne simply
ignored anything other people had already done, or we accept that by
repeating other people's work he has produced original work, which runs
against what I believe is a common definition.

In particular, other people contributed information to Anne as members of
the Webapps working group - with an understanding that the resulting
documents would be published by that working group. To try and whitewash
that out of history seems to be somewhere down the slippery slope of
plagiarism.

Nobody has suggested that the contributions of those beyond the working
group should be ignored or misrepresented, the arguments have been about
the precise editorial details of how that is done - what is generally
called "wordsmithing" or "bikeshedding" (depending on whether it is "us"
or "them" doing it).

I don't think "author" is a particularly accurate description, but I don't
think that what people who contribute are called by the specification is a
particularly important issue, so long as it is roughly accurate. So far I
am happy enough with how the different people who have done the work of
preparing different documents choose to represent the different
contributions made.

If it's good enough for the "I can live with it" test in a world where we
don't want to minutely examine every person's work, but would rather focus
on actually making progress I am happy to live with the varying details,
in order to keep working in such a world.

I suggest that is a more productive way for the Working Group to continue,
and more respectful of people who have done significant hard work in the
expectation that it would benefit the stakeholders in the web, rather than
any individual or group's perceived place in history.

cheers

Chaals

chaals@yandex-team.ru Find more at http://yandex.com