Re: CfC: publish WD of XHR; deadline November 29

Hi all,

In an ideal world, Anne would be the editor of the W3C version of the spec
and that would be the end of it. Such is not the case. Anne is not the
editor of the W3C version: he doesn't edit and/or publish anything related
to the W3C XHR spec. Current editors do and while it's mostly brain-dead
copy/paste, some decisions (especially regarding spec merging) are to be
made W3C-side. Current editors also act as first-level reviewers and
actually give Anne feedback.

To be honest, I hate this situation. As far as I'm concerned, Anne *is* the
author of the XHR spec but, AFAIK, there is no standardized way to
acknowledge this in W3C documents nor does the WHATWG Licensing makes it
mandatory. As a side note, as an open source developper, I can understand
why. If the specs are on public repos and accept pull requests (or diffs,
or whatever), then the very notion of authorship becomes a bit blurry.

Anyway, I'm one of the co-editor of the W3C XHR spec and I don't claim to
be the author of anything in the spec. I'm more interested in pushing the
spec forward than achieving glory. I accepted the co-editor position to
help because help was needed. So while I empathize with the whole "W3C
plagiarizes WHATWG" outrage, could this conversation be held where it
belongs? That is far upper the food chain than this WG.

Now, that being said and seeing as we cannot put Anne as an editor of the
W3C version of the spec (because, technically, he's not). How do you guys
suggest we go about acknowledging the WHATWG source? Where in the spec?
How? With what kind of wording?

-- Julian Aubourg