Re: [webcomponents]: Making Shadow DOM Subtrees Traversable

On 11/1/12 7:41 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> There was no good *reason* to be private by default

Yes, there was.  It makes it much simpler to author non-buggy
components.  Most component authors don't really contemplate how their
code will behave if someone violates the invariants they're depending on
in their shadow DOMs.  We've run into this again and again with XBL.

So pretty much any component that has a shadow DOM people can mess with
but doesn't explicitly consider that it can happen is likely to be very
broken.  Depending on what exactly it does, the brokenness can be more
or less benign, ranging from "doesn't render right" to "leaks private
user data to the world".

> As a general rule, we should favor being public over
> being private unless there's a good privacy or security reason to be
> private.

As a general rule we should be making it as easy as possible to write
non-buggy code, while still allowing flexibility.  In my opinion.

-Boris