Re: Defenses against phishing via the fullscreen api (was Re: full screen api)

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 7:48 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> What are the cases where webpage-driven (as opposed to
> browser-chrome-driven) fullscreen is really compelling, but they need full
> keyboard access including alphanumeric keys? (Not saying there aren't any,
> I am just not sure what they would be - fullscreen Nethack?)

There are many games that require key input. There exist popular
keymappings for certain genres (such FPSes) that are colloquially shortned
to the moniker WASD. FPS games (and any other game that uses the mouse for
view control) usually prefers WASD over cursor keys because it allows the
arms to rest at a relaxed position, whereas using the cursor keys for the
same either involves a painful posture or an adjustment of the keyboard
position.

Beyond the simple directional control, which give you 2 axes of freedom.
There are games (such as descent, flight simulators, strategy games etc)
where often a third axis might be needed. A common input scheme for these
games is QWEASD.

Beyond a simple 3-axis implementation there are categories of games (like
RTSes or RPGs) which make heavy use of shortcuts (for instance starcraft
and world of warcraft, nethack, etc.) because they need to deal with a
large catalogue of actions to be performed and clicking around in menus
would mostly be undesired by frequent players.

Beyond axial control and shortcuts games do require keyboard input for text
(such as in entering an avatar nickname, chatting etc.)

Beyond axial control, shortcuts and text input there is a good reason to
allow people to map the game action keys to whatever keys they prefer. It
is considered bad form to assume everybody is comfortable with the same
input scheme/locations. This problem becomes especially apparent in
physically disabled users who often cannot use standard input schemes at
all.