Re: [pointerlock] Is Pointer Lock feature complete i.e. LC ready? [Was: Re: [admin] Publishing specs before TPAC: CfC start deadline is Oct 15]

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 11:52 PM, Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>wrote:

> On 10/02/2012 11:55 PM, Florian Bösch wrote:
>
>> I'd like to point out that vendors are using additional failure criteria
>> to determine if pointerlock succeeds that are not outlined in the
>> specification. Firefox uses the fullscreen change event to determine
>> failure and chrome requires the pointer lock request to fail if not
>> resulting
>> from a user interaction target. I think that Firefoxes interpretation is
>> less useful than Chromes,
>>
> But safer

Also not in conformance to the specification (hence a bug). Additionally,
it will make it really difficult to follow the specification since
non-fullscreen mouse capture is specifically intended by the specification
by not adding that failure mode *to* the specification (there's a fairly
long discussion on this on the chrome ticket for pointerlock resulting in
what Chrome does now).

 and that Chromes interpretation should be amended

>> to the spec since it seems like a fairly good idea.
>>
>>  I'm not yet convinced that it is safe enough.
> Also, it is not properly defined anywhere.

So either Chrome is also implementing in conformance to the specification,
or the specification is changed. Ipso facto, the specification is not
complete since I don't think Chrome will drop this failure mode, and it
seems like Firefox is intending to follow Chromes lead because otherwise it
wouldn't be possible to implement non-fullscreen pointerlock.