RE: Proposal to add USB keycodes to the current DOM3 key events

> From: garykac@google.com [mailto:garykac@google.com] On Behalf Of Gary
>
> Hi all,
>
> I've written up a brief proposal to enhance the current DOM Level 3
> key events by adding USB keycodes.
>
> Here is a link to the proposal document:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eJvlUaTBsWa71hIc0X4s6SrCopX9LCPs1YOAuV

> luxBs/edit

Nice. Yes, getting the keyboard layout-independent position of a key was specifically out-of-scope for DOM Level 3 Events. I don't know much about the USB key codes, but it looks promising as a standard way of getting key location interop across OS/languages.

I did want to call out a sentence from you problem statement:

"Games and other applications which treat the keyboard as a large collection of buttons need to be able to keep track of which keys are currently being held down. ***Since there is no API to query the current keyboard state***, it is crucial that apps be able to match every keyup event with the originating keydown event."

An old strawman was proposed in 2009 for this: http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/Query_Key_Status, but is still worth pursuing/revising.