HTML Editing APIs is already in scope [Was: Re: Draft Minutes: 31 October 2011 f2f meeting]

Below is a followup on the short discussion we had on October 31 re the
HTML Editing APIs ...

http://www.w3.org/2011/10/31-webapps-minutes.html#item12

> Charter/Editing
>
>    ArtB: I know Aryeh was working on Editing
>    ... but he didn't make a commitment
>    ... do we let him continue working in the CG
>    ... do we pick it up now, pick it up later?
>
>    ryosuke: i'd like to see it in the charter
>
>    ArtB: aryeh felt that having it in a CG to do work forward
>    ... but he didn't object to this WG finalizing it
>
>    chaals: in the absence of someone driving it in Web Apps
>    ... I think it would be a bad idea
>    ... especially without the resources
>
>    Josh_Soref: How is this any different from the previous charter
>    item?
>
> <smaug>  #whatwg: AryehGregor "Microsoft Corp. has joined the HTML
>    Editing APIs Community Group"
>
>    chaals: I am proposing that we reject Editing APIs under similar
>    circumstances
>    ... given that there is a CG
>    ... I feel we should let them alone given they already have a CG and
>    we aren't likely to add much
>
>    ryosuke: there's a difference in complexity
>    ... Editing is much more complicated
>    ... I think it will take a couple of years before it's ready
>
>    adrianba: Microsoft just joined the CG with the intent of helping it
>    there
>
>    chaals: does anyone propose that we move editing into the WG?
>
>    RESOLUTION: We will not move Editing into this WG

The following part of the charter does make the HTML Editing APIs in
scope for WebApps:

[[
http://www.w3.org/2010/webapps/charter/#others

Specifically, because of the close relationship of the WebApps WG and
the HTML WG in terms of participants, market, and community, the WebApps
WG may opt to take on a limited number of specifications which were
initially part of the HTML5 specification that have been split off for
more general use with other languages.
]]

My summary is: although HTML Editing APIs is in scope for WebApps, and
we agreed to use public-webapps for related discussions [1], given no
one has agreed to actively drive the spec in WebApps, we will not
include it as an explicit deliverable in WebApps' charter update. If
anyone disagrees with this summary, please speak up.

-AB

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2011JulSep/1617.html