Re: Proposal for a page visibility API

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Alex Komoroske <komoroske@chromium.org>wrote:

> For clarity, I've included the current draft of the proposal below, which
> incorporates the feedback from this thread.
>

> ****
>
> There is currently no good way for a web page to detect that it is
> completely invisible to the user (for example, that it is a background tab),
> although some imperfect heuristics do exist. In the future, there may be
> cases where such detection is even more important, for example in the
> prerendering feature that Chromium is currently in the early stages of
> experimentation with.
>

> Use cases
>
> *  A page wants to detect when it is being prerendered so it can behave
> appropriately.
> *  A puzzle game has a timer that keeps track of how long the user has
> taken to solve the puzzle.  It wants to pause the timer when the user has
> hidden the tab.
> *  A web app that uses polling to fetch dynamic content can pause polling
> when it knows the page is hidden from the user.
> *  A streaming video site doesn’t want to start the video until the user
> actually views the tab for the first time (i.e. video shouldn’t start
> automatically if a user opens the tab in the background).
> *  An in-browser collaborative editing environment wants to update a user’s
> status to away when the editing surface is not visible to the user.
> *  A web-based chat application wants to show the user notifications via
> the Web Notification API when a message is received, but only when the page
> is not visible to the user.

I wanted to point out that many of these use cases are covered adequately by
document.focus()/document.blur(), which is what we currently use in Gmail to
decide whether to mark the user as away, decide whether to display
notifications, etc. In fact, I think the only two use cases that aren't
already covered by the focus/blur notifications are:

* Page wants to detect prerendering
* Web app wants to stop updating when it's not visible.

In the latter case, I actually don't think your current definition of
visible ("is the focused tab in some browser window somewhere, even if that
window is completely obscured by other windows") adequately addresses that
use case (either the page would just hook focus/blur(), or it would really
want to know if its actually visible to the user, rather than just being the
topmost tab in a completely obscured window.

So I think it's valuable to allow pages to detect prerendering/preview
rendering, but I'm wondering if a more focused API would address that use
case more concisely?

-atw