Re: Mutation events replacement

On 6/30/11 1:45 PM, James Robinson wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 1:15 PM, David Flanagan <dflanagan@mozilla.com
> <mailto:dflanagan@mozilla.com>> wrote:
>

>         This is actually a pretty hard problem to solve, and still
>         wouldn't really solve the performance issues for DOM events....
>
>     Still better than current DOM Mutation event, though right?  Are
>     you saying that synchronous callbacks on a readonly tree would
>     have worse performance than Jonas's and Olli's proposal?
>

> I suspect, although I have not measured, than entering/leaving the JS
> vm every time an attribute was modified or a node was creating would
> have significantly higher overhead than batching up the calls to
> happen later.  Consider generating a large amount of DOM by setting
> innerHTML.
>
> - James

So what if the calls were batched up and invoked synchronously before
the operation returns, as in Olli's proposal, but in addition, the
document was made re-only while the callbacks were running?  I don't
want to argue strongly for it, but it does seem like a huge
simplification if it wouldn't break important use cases.

     David