Re: [WebSQL] Any future plans, or has IndexedDB replaced WebSQL?

Are there any browser vendor representatives on the mailing list who would
care to comment on the criteria for implementing something akin to Keean's
RelationalDB <https://github.com/keean/RelationalDB> idea? What would need
to be in place to start work on such an implementation?

I can think of a number of advantages to implementing this:

   1. Opportunity to explore more solutions to "offline data" than *just *
   IndexedDB.

   2. Many web developers have a working knowledge of SQL, so the concepts
   of a relational database may be more familiar. If adoption could be
   considered a proxy for the "success" of a standard, I'd suggest that aiming
   for something the web development community understands would be a large
   factor in adoption.

   3. It's probably (!) easier to implement RelationalDB than IndexedDB, as
   it maps fairly cleanly to existing relational database technologies. This
   would allow vendors to implement it using Sqlite, Access, etc independent of
   the spec.

   4. IndexedDB wouldn't necessarily be in competition with RelationalDB.
   Some use cases would be better served by IndexedDB, while others may be
   better served by RelationalDB. The two would compliment each other. Even so,
   a bit of healthy competition would probably be good for the technologies in
   general.

   5. Having two implementations allows third-party frameworks to pick the
   "best" underlying specification for their needs. Rather than having to write
   RelationalDB on top of IndexedDB (which I think is very likely to happen),
   there may as well be a native API for it which is properly standardized and
   more importantly *optimized*.

Have I convinced anyone to start work on this in a vNext browser?!

Pretty please...? There will be cake : )