Re: [IndexedDB] Why rely on run-to-completion?

This is very similar

window.indexedDB.open(..., {
    onsuccess: function(event) { ... };
});

Except it requires an extra level on indenting for the callback definitions.
In both this and the current implementation there is the additional overhead
of an object creation for every call, when compared to simply having plain
function arguments:

window.indexedDB.open(..., function(event) { ... });

However just parsing the callback as a function argument does not make it as
clear what is happening when reading the code.

There may be a point in making this more generic. As there is only a single
thread there is no way any callback code can be executed while the current
function does not return. Consider:

var f = function() {
    setTimeout(function g() {...}, 1000);
    while(true) {};
};

In this code the 'g' will never get called... how can it when the single
thread is busy in the while loop? Technically this could be possible if the
interpreter implemented interrupts and continuations, so that the timeout
stops the JS interpreter which saves a continuation allowing it to resume
later and then executes the callback in a fresh context. However interpreter
level continuations are not a feature of standard JavaScript. If interpreter
continuations were implemented they would break the current API... This
could be fixed by deferring the execution of the initial function like so:

var request = window.indexedDB.open(...); // request object stores
parameters (maybe some pre-comutation is done).
request.onsuccess = function(event) { ... }; // set callback
request.run(); // execute the part of the open function that can cause the
callback.

So this would keep the current style, but also be more generic.

Cheers,
Keean.