Re: Fwd: XBL2: First Thoughts and Use Cases

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 10:40 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> On 12/15/10 11:29 AM, Dimitri Glazkov wrote:
>>
>> That seems like an implementation detail. Metadata can be shared and
>> cloned as needed, just like styles in CSS.
>
> Sort of.  It would need to be cloned as soon as the shadow tree is mutated,
> right?  That seems like very fragile behavior from a web author point of
> view, where it's easy to deoptimize without realizing it.

I agree that it's going to be difficult to get this right, but
semi-live templates (if you change it here, it will reflect on all
instances, but it you change it here, it won't) seem even more
fragile. That's why Hixie made XBL2's templates always-live, I think.

But I totally get the need of coming up with a solution that doesn't
end up being a memory hog.

:DG<