Re: Call for Editors for Server-sent Events, Web Storage, and Web Workers

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
> Hi, Ian-
>
> I'm sorry if it wasn't clear that we hope to keep you on as co-editor, if
> you are willing and able.
>
> I simply don't have time (nor, frankly, am I interested) in having a
> political or philosophical debate about what an editor is or isn't, or what
> makes a spec stable, or whether W3C is structured in the right way to meet
> any given aim.  That conversation would distract and detract from the
> pragmatic goal of finding additional co-editors for these specs.
>
> We are not looking for someone to do mere "secretarial work", we are looking
> for people with a stated interest to work within the W3C process to move
> these specs along the W3C Recommendation track at a timely pace.  Helping
> coordinate test suites is part of that, as is making changes to the spec
> based on requirements, implementation experience, and working group
> decisions.
>

> So, I repeat: anyone interested in helping co-edit these specs, please
> contact the chairs or myself, or say so on this list.

Dude, it's not a philosophical argument.  It really is important to
frame your request appropriately.  You aren't looking for someone to
edit the spec, you're looking for someone to push snapshots and do a
little bit of other work.  "Secretarial" is a good adjective.  Very
few people have the time, expertise, or willingness to do the former.
Many more can do the latter.

Fiddling about with the definition of "editor" is a distraction that
just makes people immediately skip the rest of the request, because
they know that they're not interested in picking the specs up as
editors.  I did that initially, and only gave it a second look when
Ian rephrased your request in more succinct and correct terms.

And, like I said, I have enough bandwidth to do this.

~TJ