Re: XBL2: First Thoughts and Use Cases

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>wrote:

> Looking at the use cases, I couldn't think of anything that would
> require this type of functionality -- at least not at the cost of its
> complexity and performance implications.
>
> Perhaps something simpler, forward-only would be a better solution?
> Maybe a template is just a stencil that provides a declarative way to
> describe how the shadow DOM is wired up. Once the instance is
> stenciled, it has no knowledge of where or how it was created.

We definitely have use-cases that require the shadow DOM to be dynamically
updated when an element that expands to a template instance has its subtree
changed. Almost every application that combines dynamic DOM modification
(e.g. editing) with templates needs this. So you do need to record how
instances were created.

I agree that handling dynamic updates to the bindings document is less
well-motivated. It might be useful for a template editor. But a template
editor could probably just unapply the entire bindings document, modify it,
and reapply it.

Rob