Re: requestAnimationFrame

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Gregg Tavares (wrk) <gman@google.com>wrote:

>>> What happens if one element's event handler makes another element
>>> visible, will the second element's timer be able to fire or not?
>>>

>>  Does it matter?
>>

> Yes, I think it probably does matter for interop.
>
> What happens now?
>>

> With mozRequestAnimationFrame, visibility is not relevant to whether the
> callbacks fire, so the question does not arise.
>

>> Now, with setInterval there is no connection to rendering. I set the code
>> to update one element to have an interval of 16 and another to have an
>> interval of 100. If the first one makes the second one visible that doesn't
>> effect whether or not the second one's set interval function gets called. If
>> there was a setIntervalIfVisible and that behavior was browser independent
>> how would that make things worse than they are today? It seem like "if
>> visible" is just a hint to the browser that it doesn't need to call the
>> interval function if it doesn't want to. It doesn't need to be a guaranteed
>> that it will be called when visible any more than the current setInterval is
>> a guarantee that it will be called at the interval rate.
>>

> mozRequestAnimationFrame actually guarantees that you will be called when
> the browser paints. Otherwise we can't guarantee that JS animations will
> stay in sync with declarative animations.

So if the JS on the beforePaint takes a while to complete what happens to
the browser? For example if you are resizing the browser? Is the browser
forced not to be able to actually paint until JS returns?

> Now, when animation is happening on a separate compositor thread that
> guarantee has to be relaxed a bit. But we'll still try to meet it on a
> best-effort basis --- i.e. "we'll run the JS animations once per composited
> frame, if the JS can keep up".

So you're saying that there's no guarantee that requestAnimationFrame will
actually keep things in sync?