Re: Replacing WebSQL with a Relational Data Model.

Hi,

I am beginning to think that a basic implementation on top of IndexedDB may
be workable (no query optimiser). The advantage would be that once the API
becomes standardised, browser implementers may choose to have an alternate
backend using SQLite or another RDBMS.

So what I would like to propose producing a JavaScript API for the
relational algebra. The API will be split into a frontend (query tree
construction) which is visible to the user, and a backend that is invisible
(either executing the query using IndexedDB, or WebSQL). This would be
interesting for several reasons, it would allow direct performance
comparisons between IndexedDB and an RDBMS for relational queries, it would
provide a framework for implementing a query optimiser for IndexedDB, and
would allow testing the IndexedDB relational operators against a known
database engine. It would also provide two implementations for
standardising.

The aim would be to standardise the API, allowing any implementation of the
backend.

Would this be something that I could get support for?

Cheers,
Keean.