Re: Replacing WebSQL with a Relational Data Model.

Hi,

On 26 October 2010 08:26, Mikeal Rogers <mikeal.rogers@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 12:02 AM, Keean Schupke <keean@fry-it.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It will be a lot faster with SQLite as the backend.
>>

> BTree's are old hat in the database space. Modern storage engines are using
>> Fractal-Trees for a 50-80 times speedup in write performance. The browser
>> should not be trying to compete with experienced database coders.
>>

> SQLite uses a btree :\
>
> *most* databases still use btrees for all their primary indexes.

See TokuDB for MySQL, its possible for an implementer to choose this as a
backend - might give a competitive advantage.

My point is more about the years of research, and constant development
taking place in database apps. Maybe SQLite will implement a Fractal-Tree
index soon. Do the browser implementers really want to be implementing all
this DB code to stay up to date. Why so keen to create work? Why can't we
just re-use the available storage engines with a nice API?

>> The relational storage model I am proposing will return a database table
>> as a list of objects, where each object represents a row, and the object has
>> a set of named properties representing each column.
>>
>> Part of the power of the Relational Data Model is that it abstracts data
>> into columns and tables, and this is precisely what we want.
>>

> Who is "we"?

We in this case is the company I work for (see my introductory email) and
some some of our customers that we have worked with.

> The relational data model doesn't fit the web very well which is why IDB
> was developed.

The relational model is great and used in native mobile apps. iPhone and
Android both provide SQLite and use it heavily. I think if you see how neat
the API is, you might change your mind.

> Most web developers I talk to do not want a relational database in the
> browser but they do want something better than what is currently there.

We would have been happy with WebSQL, but I can see the problems with
standardising it.

> If your relational API isn't fast enough built on top of IDB then you
> should post the performance metrics and efforts can be made to improve the
> performance.

Have you seen the ammount of code in SQLite? I don't think you understand
the ammount of work involved in implementing a decent relational database
engine.

> I built a CouchDB compatible datastore on top of IDB and parts don't
> perform as well as I would like (transaction overhead doesn't scale well and
> performance doesn't degrade linearly). Once Firefox is out of beta I might
> make a bigger deal out of it and do some comparison's against Chrome's
> recent impl.

Cheers,
Keean.