Re: createBlobURL

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

>>> This would be part of the <url> interface, and would be accepted
>>> anywhere a <url> is currently accepted.  Exposing the correct
>>> interface of function arguments would be a job for the function
>>> interface in the Values API, and is designed to be orthogonal.
>>
>> Note that the syntax for images is significantly different from the
>> syntax for urls. So I suspect you mean <image> rather than <url>
>> above.
>
> No, I meant <url>, which happens to be a type of <image> as well.  I
> don't know what it would mean for me to mean <image>, as that covers
> much more than what you can produce with a blob.
>

>> However it still leaves my original statement unanswered:
>>
>> "Like I said, I think creating an OM that covers all the cases here
>> would create something very complex. I'd love to see a useful proposal
>> for <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-images/>"
>
> I outlined how it would work above, I thought.  Any property that can
> take a <url> should, in the Values API, be able to take a url object
> like we're describing here.  Any function that can take a <url> as an
> argument should do the same.  The exact interface for exposing
> function arguments hasn't been nailed down yet, but once you can do
> so, using it should be the same as using an ordinary property which
> just takes a <url>.

The question is, how do you use a DOMURL together with all the other
features of <image>. Using the createObjectURL proposal I can do:

elem.style.backgroundImage =
"image('" + createObjectURL(file1) + "' snap 150dpi)," +
"image('" + createObjectURL(file2) + "' 150dpi, radial-gradient(...))";

How would I do the equivalent if createObjectURL isn't available?

/ Jonas