Re: ISSUE-137 (IME-keypress): Should keypress events fire when using an IME? [DOM3 Events]

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Web Applications Working Group Issue
Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org> wrote:

> ISSUE-137 (IME-keypress): Should keypress events fire when using an IME? [DOM3 Events]
>
> http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/issues/137
>
> Raised by: Doug Schepers
> On product: DOM3 Events
>
> Hallvord R. M. Steen <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2010JulSep/0176.html>:
> [[
> current spec text says about the keypress event:
>
>> This event type shall be generated after the keyboard mapping
>> but before the processing of an input method editor, normally
>> associated with the dispatching of a compositionstart, compositionupdate,
>> or compositionend event.
>
> I think this is wrong, if an IME is actively processing the input no
> keypress event should fire.
> ]]

There was some discussion at work about how a search engine (e.g.
Google [this was before it had the really live search, but after they
added the drop down stuff]) might want to handle incomplete IME bits.
I'm not sure if we have useful notes on this subject, nor do I
remember what my opinion was at the time (it would have been about a
month before my vacation which lasted a month).

I think my general tendency was to ask not to provide keypress but to
provide the event in some IME specific event instead. It's ok for an
IME aware HTML application to listen for such events, but it isn't OK
to confuse a naive web application (and let's face it, most are). I
might have also argued that it would be ok to provide keydown/keyup
notifications and only suppress keypress, but I really don't recall.