Re: XHR2 proposal: support for informational responses

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> it might be cool (and not too complicated) to (optionally) expose 1xx
> <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#status.1xx>).

There's one application I know of (not browser based) which regularly
reports "Error 100 Continue ..." as a dialog.

> This could be done through an opt-in, such as specifying a callback function
> to be called asynchronously when the messages come in (returning status line
> and headers).

As long as it's opt in per specific code, to avoid the disaster that
I've seen in existing apps which don't properly handle this, it should
be fine.

xhr.addEventListener("http100",  function callback(status_number,
status_string, response_headers, response_body){})

Note that I'm not in favor of someone adding support for "http1xx", I
expect callbacks to be surprised when they get a specific number that
is not the one they were designed for (just as my app above wasn't
expecting 100).