Re: Items not listed as "new" in the draft charter

On Mar 29, 2010, at 10:22 AM, Doug Schepers wrote:

> Hi, Folks-
>
> I've put together a wiki page [1] that I propose to send to the AC
> as a further clarification on the charter discussion.  How does this
> look to you?
>
> Does everyone agree that this is fair representation of the changed
> work in the WebApps WG charter?
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/Charter

More comments:

It may be worth noting that some of the deliverables described as
alternate proposals do not actually match the charter descriptions for
the previous main deliverables. For example, the 2008 charter
describes CORS thus:
"A mechanism for selective and secure cross-domain scripting (formerly
Access Control for Cross-site Requests)."

But UMP is arguably not "selective"; it lets you limit what resources
can be access cross-domain, but not who can access them, by design.

The 2008 charter describes Web Storage thus:
"Two APIs for client-side data storage in Web applications: a name-
value pair system, and a database system with a SQL frontend."

But Indexed Database clearly does not really satisfy the description
of either of those two APIs, again, by design.

I think it's better to be forthright about this. The whole reason
these APIs exist is to differ in a fundamental way from the other
relevant charter deliverables in a fundamental way.

I also disagree with both describing Widget Embedding as new, and then
also describing it as split from another document. It was certainly
not split from anything published under the 2008 charter; rather it is
apparently based on a section heading of an empty section from a draft
published in 2007. Since it's already listed as new, I don't think
further explanation is needed, and would rather just see it listed as
new without comment than to debate its historical origins. Or I would
be fine with a note that it's based on concepts that preceded the 2008
charter period.

Regards,
Maciej