Re: Items not listed as "new" in the draft charter

On Mar 29, 2010, at 10:22 AM, Doug Schepers wrote:

> Hi, Folks-
>
> I've put together a wiki page [1] that I propose to send to the AC
> as a further clarification on the charter discussion.  How does this
> look to you?
>
> Does everyone agree that this is fair representation of the changed
> work in the WebApps WG charter?
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/Charter

So looking at the following statements:

* Indexed Database API was an alternative proposal to Web SQL Database
* Programmable HTTP Caching and Serving was split from Indexed
Database API

(1) Is the second statement actually true? I don't recall ever seeing
a Working Draft or Editor's Draft of Indexed Database API that
included the "Programmable HTTP Caching and Serving" material. As far
as I know, the only relationship is that both proposals were made by
the same individual.

(2) Even if both statements are independently true, I think they give
the misleading impression that "Programmable HTTP Caching and Serving"
is something that would have been in scope as an alternative to Web
SQL Database, at least in part. But I don't think that's right. It's a
totally different API, with a totally separate purpose. It is actually
an alternative to (or possibly in the future extension on top of) the
HTML5 Application Cache feature. I don't think it is reasonable to
imply that this was even in part an alternative proposal to any Web
Apps WG spec.

Actually, given (2), I am not sure it is a good idea to have this in
our charter scope, since work in this area is currently being done by
the HTML WG. At the very least it should be very clearly called out as
a coordination item.

Regards,
Maciej