Re: [WebSQLDatabase] Adding a vacuum() call

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Dumitru Daniliuc <dumi@google.com> wrote:

> thanks for your comments, shane. a few questions:
>

>> (1) VACUUM is never "necessary", though can sometimes reduce the size of
>> the database file and provide a performance improvement if the database is
>> large and fragmented.
>>

> large and fragmented databases is exactly the use case that made us think
> about a vacuum() call.
>

>> (2) Use PRAGMA freelist_count to estimate how much VACUUM will shrink a
>> database.
>>

> if i understand the docs correctly, PRAGMA freelist_count will only return
> the number of empty pages. so if we had many pages with very little data on
> each one, vacuuming the database would considerably reduce its size, but
> PRAGMA freelist_node would return 0. is this correct? is there a better way
> to estimate the amount of space we'd get back if we vacuumed the database?
> in particular, is there a way to figure out how fragmented each page is?

Without looking at the specific page structure on the database, there's not
a good way to figure this out.   However, the B-Tree balancing algorithm
used by SQLite will attempt to merge pages with neighbors when there space
utilization drops below certain thresholds. Minimum average fill for intkey
leaves is 50%. For other pages I think it's 66%.

> (3) VACUUM requires O(N) time where N is the size of the database file, and
>> can require up to 2N temporary space while processing.
>>

> i'm not so worried about the space: hard drives are much much bigger than
> any DB a web app will have. the time it takes to vacuum a DB though is
> something that UAs would probably want to take into account. do you have any
> data on how long it takes to vacuum a fragmented database of 1MB? 10MB?
> 100MB? 1GB? i'm not looking for a benchmark, just some approximate data
> (even though it would be great if you had a benchmark that you could share
> with us).

VACUUM is largely io-bound and so the speed greatly depends on speed of the
underlying filesystem.  We generally use the rule of thumb of 1 second per
MB on basic systems.

> Our recommendation is that the use of VACUUM be discouraged.   The
>> performance improvement only comes up with very large databases that are
>> highly fragmented.  Where space reclamation is an issue, AUTO_VACUUM would
>> be more appropriate.
>>

> the spec i proposed in my previous email allows UAs to ignore vacuum()
> calls whenever they feel like it, so the UAs could just decide that it's not
> worth vacuuming small databases. in cases of apps like offline gmail though,
> the databases will be large, and i would guess that after a while they'd be
> pretty fragmented, due to constantly deleting older emails and inserting
> newer ones, so some kind of vacuuming would be needed.
>
> AUTO_VACUUM: if i understand the docs correctly, auto-vacuum does not go
> inside pages. it only automatically removes the pages that are entirely
> free. is that correct? if so, then it seems to me that auto-vacuuming
> doesn't really solve the fragmentation problem. also, what's the performance
> overhead of having auto-vacuum on? and do we have any control over when it
> kicks in? going back to my offline gmail example, i think it would be much
> better to have the app call vacuum() when the user writes an email and the
> app is otherwise idle, for example, then to have auto-vacuuming cause
> user-visible delays when the app is syncing with the server or doing some
> other intensive work.

When combined with the basic page merging mentioned above, AUTO_VACUUM does
a very good job, and the performance overhead is minimal.   There's no