Re: [WebSQLDatabase] Adding a vacuum() call

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 22:31:15 +0100, Dirk Pranke <dpranke@chromium.org>
wrote:

> I admit to not being super familiar with the spec as it currently
> stands, but I find the idea that we would add something like this
> fairly unappealing. I'm not familiar with any other database API
> that asks the application programmer to some sort of GC as part of
> the application. I almost feel like if you're going to add this,
> you should drop any pretense of calling this a generic SQL
> interface, and just call it the "WebSQLLite spec".

It isn't a generic SQL spec, it is already a "WebSQLite" spec.

But I'm still not sure what the rationale is for this functionality. In
particular, because the sense I got from the TPAC meeting was that nobody
except Apple is especially keen on this spec as a long-term solution. So
working on such low-level functionality doesn't seem very worthwhile -
although if people are seriously going to implement it then knowing that
will at least allow ongoing interoperability for those who choose to
implement it.

cheers

Chaals

> -- Dirk
>
> 2010/3/9 Jeremy Orlow <jorlow@google.com>:
>> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Dumitru Daniliuc <dumi@google.com>
>> wrote:

>>> ok, so let's drop the errorCallback: vacuum([optional]
>>> successCallback);

>>> what do we do if some databases are opened for the entire life of the
>>> browser? for example, i open my browser which has myfavoriteapp.com
>>> set as
>>> its homepage. myfavoriteapp.com immediately opens a DB, and i only
>>> close
>>> that app when i close the browser. when would the browser vacuum
>>> myfavoriteapp's DBs in this case?
>>>
>>> i think it's ok for the UA to vacuum some DBs automatically when it
>>> thinks
>>> it's a good time to do so; however, if a platform supports the
>>> vacuum/defrag
>>> call (i.e. if it doesn't treat it is a no-op), then i think a vacuum