Re: Notifications

I can't help but think the Growl issue is way overblown. I am the user who
uses Growl and also a GoogleTalkLabsEdition for Mac that pop ups nice
notifications about upcoming meetings, email and chat. Growl is connected to
IRC and something else (don't even remember). They both use top-right corner
of the screen to pop up their balloons and co-exist just fine. I don't
remember having them ever overlap (or that being a problem). And snooze on
meeting popups is great.

As for less-capable devices like phones, a few years ago even having a real
HTML displayed on them was out of the question. There are still successful
companies out there that provide a service of translating any given HTML
page into dumbed-down version for a particular cellphone model - for a fee
per-translation. Sites that are serious about mobile internet on wide
variety of currently-deployed devices often use this stuff to serve pages,
it's easier then to build up expertise on all the variants of crippled
'browsers' out there. The progress in this field in a last few years is
phenomenal and fast. It wouldn't be surprising if 'regular' HTML
notifications were totally possible on those devices by the time the spec
and implementations gain some maturity. There is no reason why user of a
cell phone can not have a nice meeting reminder with a snooze button, or a
chat invite with 'reply now', without the need for a native app.

Dmitry