Re: Rechartering WebApp WG

On Feb 8, 2010, at 4:25 AM, Doug Schepers wrote:

> Hi, Folks-
>
> As you know, we will be up for rechartering on 30 June 2010.
> However, we have a few new deliverables, and we've been specifically
> advised that though they are arguably in scope, it would be better
> transparency if e.g. postMessage and MessageChannel were explicitly
> added to the charter.
>
> Thus, I have started a rough draft of the new WebApps charter [1],
> taking into account the feedback received so far on the WebApps
> member list.
>
> We are interested in comments to refine the charter before
> submitting it to the Advisory Committee and W3C management for review.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2010/webapps/charter/Overview.html

Some comments:

- I would like to suggest the name "Web Messaging" for the
postMessage / MessageChannel deliverable.

- I think the "Other Specifications" section should be clear on the
right process for adopting new deliverables without having to
recharter. I think we want a process that is flexible but that retains
transparency and accountability. I like the idea of writing
requirements documents for these. Perhaps there should be some sort of
review process for these requirements documents, in lieu of a full
recharter cycle.

- I think errata for the existing DOM specs should be stated as in-
scope. I believe we are the right group to do this, but it's better to
be explicit. I think this would include even DOM specs where we may
not plan to publish a whole new version.

- I think it's no longer necessary to cite the previous Web API and
WAF charters. If we do cite a previous charter it should be the
previous version of the Web Apps WG charter, It hink.

Regards,
Maciej