Re: [widgets-twi] window object

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Cyril Concolato <cyril.concolato@enst.fr> wrote:
> Le 08/02/2010 13:29, Robin Berjon a écrit :
>>
>> On Feb 5, 2010, at 16:18 , Marcos Caceres wrote:

>>> Yeah, that's a tough one... the spec says:
>>>
>>> "For a widget instance, a user agent MUST expose a unique object that
>>> implements the widget interface to author scripts."
>>>
>>> It does not give any guidance as to how the interface must be exposed.
>>
>> But then again, SVG supports the Window object (minimally defined in
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/svgudom.html#dom__Window). So just adding a
>> widget field there ought to be straightforward.
>
> My mistake. I had not realized that. But again, the question is why put the
> widget object on the window object, apart from it being a black hole. Why
> not put it in the global object. What's wrong with that? It would easier to
> specify. What's the benefit of using the window object?

I don't think there is a way around this. Everything lives in the
window: it is the top level scope. This is evident by running
"<script>alert(this)</script>", which returns [object Window] or
[object DOMWindow]. Changing this to have Widget as the top or as a
shared top level scope would break code expecting to window object to
be there. Also, it might not even be possible to have two objects be
at the level scope at the same time.

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au