Re: Notifications

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 18:55:32 +0100, Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>
> wrote:
>
>> NotificationCenter is a bit strange. Why do we need
>> a separate interface for this?
>> I'd rather added createNotification to window object,
>> or to .screen.
>>

> Shouldn't it be on navigator? We use navigator for other device-related
> APIs as well, e.g. onLine and registerProtocolHandler().

It seems as though there are currently a lot of device related APIs in the
pipeline (especially in the DAP WG).  Are you suggesting that navigator be a
dumping ground for all of them?

Like I said in a response to Olli's original email, there's precedent for
creating an object that hangs off DOMWindow.  Is there any reason you're
against this?

Also note that checking to see whether window.notifiactions exists seems
like a very nice way for consumers of the API to check whether it's
available.