Re: propose an API to return Range in <textarea> etc. form control nodes (similar functionality as document.caretRangeFromPoint)

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 20:20:00 +0200, Xiaomei Ji <xji@chromium.org> wrote:
> 1. Why we would like to differentiate whether the node is a 'document'
> node or a 'control' node? Can such differentiation be achived by
> existing flags in node instead of "offsetKind"?

Yes. I think we should nuke offsetKind for now.

> 2. If we expose the control node, how to deal with the concerns Olli
> raised?
> "Do you really want to expose those (native) anonymous DOM nodes to
> web? What should happen if one tries to append them to normal DOM?
> Or removes them? Or adds (mutation) event listener to them?"

You get a numeric offset, not any kind of object.

> 3. From user's point of view, I think we probably need to have a
> convenience
> method for converting a Range, and it probably should not give null for a
> control position. We would need both the node and the offset for further
> processing.

If we have a convenience access to a Range it would have to be null for
replaced elements that contain anonymous line boxes. Is that really needed
though?

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/