Re: Points of order on this WG

On Jun 25, 2009, at 9:34 AM, Arthur Barstow wrote:

> Nikunj, All,
>
> Charles will respond separately regarding a way forward but I want
> to respond to the false accusation below.
>
> On Jun 24, 2009, at 8:13 PM, ext Nikunj R. Mehta wrote:
>
>> The WG chair went ahead with the publication of the Web Storage draft
>> overriding serious objections about it's direction and emphasis.
>
> The record actually shows Nikunj saying:
>
> [[
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009AprJun/
> 0145.html
>
> Oracle conditionally supports the publishing this draft as FPWD
> provided that the abstract is worded appropriately.

> Here's what Oracle would like to see in the abstract:
>
> This specification defines two APIs for persistent data storage in Web
> clients: one for accessing key-value pair data and another for
> accessing structured data.
> ]]
>
> Ian agreed [1] to make the requested change above (it is included in
> the FPWD [2]) and thus addressed the only concern you raised re
> publishing the FPWD.

Seeing the way things were, there was no way to stop the publication
[1]. To mitigate the negative effects of publication, Oracle made its
assent conditional. In reality, the chairs should have taken in to
account the prior reluctance to continue with the draft [2] and asked
the author to seek requirements and provide cautionary text in
prominent places in the FPWD.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009AprJun/0143.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009AprJun/0106.html