RE: 906

Hi Hector and Hemant,

Web Services is more about server-to-server processes. Although there are
methods for calling a Service directly from MSIE, this is not the "standard"
practice.

A client, such as MSIE, may make a request to a Server that subsequently
invokes a call to another Server - but the results of that call is not
conveyed directly to the client. In fact, many of the webpages you may
interact with may be making Web Service calls, but you'd never know it
unless the page Author notified you deliberately. Web Service activity is
not typically evident even if you look at page's "view-source".

I'm a programmer and not a legal expert by any means (you should have seen
my divorce settlement :-P), but based on what I've been gleaming from this
list - I think Web Services are generally exempt.

Web Services may use XML as the transmission protocol, but the XML called by
a Webpage is not necessarily the result of some Web Service activity.

---
Webpages that make calls to a Server to return XML, I think have to be
treated as a separate topic.

Like I mentioned in an earlier posting, MSIE strongly supports capturing
external XML data.

One method does employ the use of an embedded <OBJECT/>, but the common use
is a Microsoft extension for the HTML <XML/> tag, which I understand is a
"built-in" capability of MSIE.

The HTML <XML/> tag can be manipulated by Script to make Server calls, and
then you can take the XML returned to the <XML/> and then do a number of
things like make a decision in Script, dynamically add or change the current
HTML or initiate XSLT.

Also, from what I understand, even client-side XSLT is a "native" capability
of MSIE.

Isn't this Patent more about invoking embedded (external) applets and
controls, and not about the built-in native capabilities of MSIE?

Or is all the technical definitions I've come to understand, more in control
of the lawyers then the programmers?

Scott Cadillac,
XML-Extranet - http://xmlx.ca
403-281-6090 - scott@xmlx.ca
Well-formed Development
--
Extranet solutions using C# .NET, Witango, MSIE and XML