Re: Mobile, Web and Multi-device

On 9/20/13 12:58 AM, "ext Dominique Hazael-Massieux" <dom@w3.org> wrote:

>Le vendredi 20 septembre 2013 à 12:19 +0900, Satoru Takagi a écrit :
>> Since I do not have the definition completely and I am not good at
>> English, I would like to know your understanding.
>> What differs between "mobile web" and "mobile web applications"? Is
>> one of the two a subset of other? Or does one of the two have a part
>> which is not contained on the other?
>
>I think "mobile Web" stands for "Web used on mobile" (with all the
>caveats of the previous discussions around what "mobile" itself means).
>
>Web applications are probably a subset of that, although what
>constitutes a Web app, and how it differs from a Web site is known to be
>a hard-to-decide problem; some references on this:
>http://www.visionmobile.com/blog/2013/07/web-sites-vs-web-apps-what-the-ex
>perts-think/
>http://people.w3.org/~dom/archives/2010/08/what-is-a-web-application/
>(if I dare cite myself :)
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-closingthegap/2013May/thread.ht
>ml#msg3

I agree partially regarding the web app being a subset of mobile web. Of
course, web apps can be for "desktop" as well. It is more like an
intersection of a venn diagram, than a subset of either.

>> Moreover, what differs between "apps" and "web apps"? What is the
>> reason that we expect that "web apps" attracts everyone (not only
>> developer but also consumer)?
>
>So, I have a draft document that touches upon this that I was thinking
>of submitting to this group:
>http://www.w3.org/2013/07/mobile-gap-analysis/taxonomy.html
>
>It's drafty and will clearly need to discussed in details, but at least
>it hopefully provides a starting point in defining the right terms.
>
>(I also have another document on the strengths of Web apps vs native
>apps, but it still needs further work before I bring it here)

I like the "taxonomy" of web. We may want to break them down in genus and
species ;-)

I have had multiple occasions when I needed to explain these terms to
non-technical peeps.
I usually describe the "web apps" as (single-page) web that take more
user-interactions, and usually built with latest technologies that
requires advanced browsers, while the "web sites" interacts less with the
users.
However, of course the boundary is fuzzy, and even a web site with
read-only article can have some interactive "widgets" in the page.

I am not trying to bring back the topic, but yes, classification of
"mobile" is getting too complicated these days.
It is not just the hand-held devices that connect to Internet on cellular
network anymore. How about wearables? Internet of Things?
Google Glass is probably considered mobile, and it has a web browser that
can access "mobile web" too.

About native/web overwrap - all the packaged apps for web-based OS are
still considered to be native apps, although they are written in
HTML/JS/CSS.
And hybrid app. Users actually can't even tell it the app is mostly or
partially running on WebView or not.

tomomi