Re: Mobile, Web and Multi-device

Le vendredi 20 septembre 2013 à 12:19 +0900, Satoru Takagi a écrit :
> Since I do not have the definition completely and I am not good at
> English, I would like to know your understanding.
> What differs between "mobile web" and "mobile web applications"? Is
> one of the two a subset of other? Or does one of the two have a part
> which is not contained on the other?

I think "mobile Web" stands for "Web used on mobile" (with all the
caveats of the previous discussions around what "mobile" itself means).

Web applications are probably a subset of that, although what
constitutes a Web app, and how it differs from a Web site is known to be
a hard-to-decide problem; some references on this:
http://www.visionmobile.com/blog/2013/07/web-sites-vs-web-apps-what-the-experts-think/
http://people.w3.org/~dom/archives/2010/08/what-is-a-web-application/
(if I dare cite myself :)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-closingthegap/2013May/thread.html#msg3

> Moreover, what differs between "apps" and "web apps"? What is the
> reason that we expect that "web apps" attracts everyone (not only
> developer but also consumer)?

So, I have a draft document that touches upon this that I was thinking
of submitting to this group:
http://www.w3.org/2013/07/mobile-gap-analysis/taxonomy.html

It's drafty and will clearly need to discussed in details, but at least
it hopefully provides a starting point in defining the right terms.

(I also have another document on the strengths of Web apps vs native
apps, but it still needs further work before I bring it here)

Dom