Re: [HOME_NETWORK_TF] Dual Screen Use Cases (was "Re: [HOME_NETWORK_TF] Implementation Alternatives")

On 18 April 2011 12:41, Matt Hammond <matt.hammond@rd.bbc.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I agree there is a tension between defining something relatively generic and
> simple to use from a web development perspective (but perhaps limited in
> functionality), vs having access to all features of a specific underlying
> protocol (but being tied to a specific protocol and complex to use from JS).

Yes. The approach we took in the NoTube project was to think more
about establishing (bi-directional) communications with the
device/service using a general purpose, flexible mechanism, and then
within that larger framework, define tighter, more specific message
patterns. To avoid re-inventing the wheel we chose XMPP for the
former. It's clear from the discussions here so far that there other
relevant pre-existing wheels on which we could also have built.

> Some high-level use cases might help to frame what functionality we most
> want to enable.

Yes, yes and, er, yes! :)

> Following the suggested process, I have started a dual-screen applications
> use case page on the wiki, based on the use cases I posted before. This is
> also under the open discussions area of the wiki, and can be found here:
>
>    http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/HNTF/Home_Network_TF_Discussions
>
> The aim of the page is to discuss and refine these user-centric use cases.
> Hopefully some requirements and more detailed technical use cases can be
> derived from them. It would be helpful if others could do the same if there
> are other use cases to be considered.

Thanks for the initiative, I'll try to add some.

cheers,

Dan

ps.
"A television is a device that presents programme content from a
variety of source - such as received via broadcast (cable, satellite,
terrestrial), on-demand streaming services, or streamed from other
devices in the home. It is connected to the home network."

 ... does my laptop count as a Television in this sense? Or only when
I put a DVB-T card in it?