Re: [HOME_NETWORK_TF] Home Network Technologies

Hi Olivier,

On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 12:22:38 +0100, Olivier Carmona <ocarmona@awox.com>
wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> DLNA 1.0 is about two-box pull model: on one side you have a Digital
> Media Player (a client in your description) and on the other side you
> have a Digital Media Server (a rendering device in your description).
> DMP discovers and then browses DMS, and can request one of the browsed
> items to be played. The only difference with your model is that this the
> DMP that based on the information exposed by the DMS, decides wherever
> it can play the content.

My explanation was not as clear as it should have been - please accept my
apologies for that. The client that I described does not display media and
does not send or receive media streams. It is the server that will
render/display media, and it is up to the server to work out what media is
available to it and to arrange to stream (or otherwise obtain) it. This
aspect would be completely opaque to this client. The server/renderer
could well use DLNA to discover and stream that content from a 3rd device,
but the client would not be aware of this.

For me, the attraction of this model is that it is more abstract that just
streaming and can easily subsume access to local storage but also access
to services such as live television broadcast. A television programme is
just another item of content that the server reports it has available to
it, and which the client can ask it to display.

regards

Matt