RE: [HOME_NETWORK_TF] Home Network Technologies

Hi Matt,

Let me try to answer "frame" your question/observation and hopefully provide some brief answers:

Q1: Does DLNA/UPnP distinguish between the description of content, i.e. metadata describing content (title, description, available media formats) and the device actually supplying the content?

Q2: Does DLNA/UPnP allow metadata and content to reside on separate devices on the home network?

Q3: Does DLNA/UPnP allow the remote commanding of playback devices?

A1: Yes...DLNA/UPnP has a distinct metadata service (ContentDirectory Service). The metadata provided by this service can refer to content elsewhere on the home network.

A2: Yes

A3: Yes...UPnP/DLNA allows remote commanding of playback devices. A Digital Media Controller can obtain descriptive content metadata and tell a playback device to "pull" a piece of content from a distinct "content source" on the home network.

The Digital Media Controller in this scenario would examine the metadata from both the Playback Device (Digital Media Renderer) and from the metadata service (Digital Media Server - ContentDirectory Service) and insure a media format is chosen that both the Content Source can provide and the Playback Device can render. Once a match is found the Digital Media Controller, would command the Playback device to fetch the content from the Content Source.

Regards,

Russell Berkoff

Samsung Electronics