Re: Suggested response to the Yandex "cannot iive with loosening of TAG participation requiremens"

> On Apr 14, 2015, at 23:11 , Wayne Carr <wayne.carr@linux.intel.com> wrote:
>

> On 2015-04-14 10:02, David Singer wrote:
>>> On Apr 14, 2015, at 18:19 , chaals@yandex-team.ru wrote:
>>>
>>> Hence inter alia my proposal that a member whose nominee holds a seat should not be allowed to propose another nominee. I'm not sure how clearly I expressed that - I know it was rough in my strawpeople because people asked for clarification.
>>>
>> Happily, up until Mr Kardell’s recent message, no-one had suggested modifying that existing rule.  With luck, we can stay focused on the best way to handle the single case at hand: ‘change of affiliation of an existing elected TAG member, when their new affiliation already has a TAG member’.
>>
>> As I see it, we have three suggestions on the table:
>>
>> 1. the existing state: they must resign their seat and a new special election occurs
>
> A special election occurs only if the Chair asks for one.  There doesn't have to be a special election now.  There's also no reason the AB or TAG couldn't ask some volunteer(s) to help out in the meantime (or preferably do more of their work in open task forces that any AC member could join or in public like this group - so a vacancy wouldn't be an issue).
>
> Process: "When an elected seat on either the AB or TAG is vacated, the seat is filled at the next regularly scheduled election for the group unless the group Chair requests that W3C hold an election before then “

My apologies for the inaccurate characterization of Process 2005/2014.  You are right, it’s more nuanced:

 • "A Member organization is permitted at most one participant on the TAG."
The organization has 30 days to resolve any conflict with this rule (I assume by somehow changing the status of one of the people so that they are no longer representing the organization). During that time, "one participant MUST cease TAG or AB participation until the situation has been resolved.”
Then "If after 30 days the situation has not been resolved, the Chair will declare one participant's seat to be vacant.”
So, effectively immediately they are no longer working on the TAG (they cease participation and then 30 days later they are no longer occupying the seat).

Then, an election is not automatic (though it seems to be our usual practice):
 • "When an elected seat on either the AB or TAG is vacated, the seat is filled at the next regularly scheduled election for the group unless the group Chair requests that W3C hold an election before then (for instance, due to the group's workload). The group Chair SHOULD NOT request an exceptional election if the next regularly scheduled election is fewer than three months away."

The significant change here would be to allow continued participation up until the next regularly scheduled election, instead of immediate cessation of participation followed by vacation of the seat.

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.