Re: Please Open ISSUE-34 (good standing)

On Sep 16, 2014, at 14:06 , Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com> wrote:

> On 16/09/2014 14:10, David (Standards) Singer wrote:
>
>> I think that:
>>
>> * good standing needs to move from being a normal part of the process, to being a tool available to groups and their chairs; so define it but donít require it
>> * a group intending to have good standing available as a tool needs to say so in their charter (ďmay use the good standing processĒ)
>> * we need to look at other places in the process where it is used (e.g. TAG and AB, formally elected groups)
>> * on the question of chair discretion
>>  ó itís fine for the chair to say ďto affect this decision/vote, you need to be in good standingĒ (e.g. because it really needs people to be up to speed);  but only if participants have the opportunity to get into good standing;  itís not needed that good standing is used for every decision
>>  ó it is not OK for the chair to use discretion about who is affected; itís either a uniform requirement, or not; you cannot exclude person A for lacking good standing while accepting person B who also lacks it
>
> The whole "good standing" section 6.2.1.7 in the Process seems
> to me the parangon of administrative blah-blah introduced for
> good reasons but impossible to apply, sorry to say the least.

I agree that it has problems, thatís why I want to make it an available tool rather than an automatic one (as you note later, there are some places we may still need it).  If there is a group that wants to and can apply it, I donít see any reason not to have it available.  Iíd also like to see whether we can re-focus it to better achieve the presumed desired effect (which I take to be that you donít want poorly-engaged or poorly-informed people gumming up the works and delaying things over material that they would understand if they were up to speed) and easier/automatic to use.

> 1. Chairs have no tools to monitor that. With large Groups, that's
>   just 100% unfeasible, sorry. And this is not only hypothetical;
>   I have tried, during more than 9 months, to monitor good and bad
>   standing. I eventually gave up, that's too complex to handle
>   given the rules of 6.2.1.7.

Thatís an issue.  Itís pointless if it canít be managed.

> Then Dave said above "it is not OK for the chair to use discretion about
> who is affected". I soooo totally disagree.

I am sorry.  There is absolutely no way we can condone the chair playing favorites, no matter how tempting it is.  What you say is too close to that.

> AFAIK, the oldest WG in the Consortium, the CSS WG, has never used
> Standing. Each time we discussed it, it was either impractical or
> impossible. I think we should be able to ditch it _entirely_ except in
> the case of AB and TAG.

Not so far from where I am, which is to improve its definition and measurability, and make it apply to groups only on their choice (and I think the AB and TAG probably should have it chosen for them).

For groups where it wonít work, we probably need better mechanisms to provide back-pressure against the uninformed gumming up the works.

>  I can't
> imagine a reasonable Chair refusing to register a vote or poll for a
> Member in "bad standing" if that Member contributes a technically valid
> and useful point of viewÖ

Indeed, good standing and votes are a long way from technical arguments.  Of course WGs should listen to good arguments at any stage, and if someone not in good standing makes a good point, I would hope the WG and chair listen to it.  (And someone in good standing spouting rubbish wonít carry the day either.)