Re: w3process-ISSUE-124 (WHATWG-blacklist): Normative Reference policy should explicitly black list WHATWG specs [Normative Reference Policy]

On 9/8/14 9:47 AM, Jeff Jaffe wrote:
> On 9/8/2014 9:40 AM, Arthur Barstow wrote:
>> On 9/8/14 9:38 AM, Jeff Jaffe wrote:
>>>
>>> To my knowledge the Director has not looked at the WHATWG URL
>>> document from the perspective of normative references.
>>
>> OK, so that's still an option. (I didn't get that from the meeting.)
>>
>>> But on a call last Friday (which involved Team, and Chairs from
>>> WebApps and HTML - but not the Director) it was suggested that there
>>> were several conditions in the NRP document that would not apply.
>>
>> And which conditions are those?
>
> If the HTML Chairs believe that this document would satisfy the
> conditions they can propose to the Director to use the WHATWG document
> and explain why it fulfills the normative references policy.

Current status:

An unversioned snapshot is available here:

   http://url.spec.whatwg.org/

A versioned snapshot is available here:

   https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/url/raw-file/default/Overview.html

---

A list of known bugs:

https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&component=URL&list_id=43507&product=WHATWG&query_format=advanced

---

Here are the snippets of the existing HTML5 specification
which reference [URL]:

The following terms are defined in the URL standard: [URL]

A URL is a valid URL if it conforms to the authoring conformance
requirements in the URL standard. [URL]

The a element also supports the URLUtils interface. [URL]

The format of the fragment identifier depends on the MIME type of the
media resource. [RFC2046] [URL]

The area element also supports the URLUtils interface. [URL]

... replace the first occurrence of "%%%%" in action with the resulting
doubly-escaped string. [URL]

... replace the first occurrence of "%%" in action with the resulting
escaped string. [URL]

... are not characters in the URL default encode set. [URL]

The Location interface also supports the URLUtils interface. [URL]

Relative URLs must be given relative to the manifest's own URL. All URLs
in the manifest must have the same scheme as the manifest itself (either
explicitly or implicitly, through the use of relative URLs). [URL]

---

> I think it would be inappropriate for the Staff to publicly speculate on
> specific considerations if it might come to Director review.

Given that the bug list hasn't even been triaged yet, it would be
premature for the HTML chairs to bring forward a recommendation at this
time.

If anybody wants to contribute to that discussion, at a minimum we need
a stable snapshot that meets the W3C HTML5's specification's needs, and
ideally it needs to be able to meet the requirements for W3C CR by the
end of October.

While such a discussion can clearly occur anywhere, if this discussion
happens on a W3C mailing list, I would personally recommend
public-webapps for this purpose.  Should it happen elsewhere, I still
would recommend that a pointer to that discussion be placed on
public-webapps.

In any case, if somebody steps forward with a proposal that
substantially meets those requirements, the HTML WG chairs will consider it.

>> -Thanks, AB

- Sam Ruby