Re: Transition to a revised Technical Report Development Process [W3Process-ISSUE-39, W3Process-ACTION-10, proposal]

On Oct 14, 2013, at 20:57 , Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org> wrote:

> On 10/14/2013 11:27 PM, Michael Champion (MS OPEN TECH) wrote:
>> I'm proposing the next recharter or charter extension as the forcing function to move to the new process. That might be too draconian for some groups or specs, but the Director/team can use discretion in such cases.
>>
>>> It becomes too confusing to start all over again.
>> I'm still not understanding this point.  The new process eliminates steps, it doesn't force anyone to "start all over again".
>> What's the scenario you're concerned about?
>
> I'm sympathetic to the worry.  I've spent a great deal of time with Tracking Protection of late.  I can imagine great frustration if they were driving all of their effort towards LC, and all of a sudden they were told that there is no LC; instead they need to drive to LCCR and demonstrate wide review - something that they had never planned on doing before getting to LC.

I agree, this could be ugly.

"we have a document, please give us public comment"
"OK, we have addressed the public and other comments, now implement and tell us what we missed"

do seem to be pretty separate steps.  how does the new process envisage them?