Re: Proposed new Schema.org type for poetry and fiction

http://id.loc.gov/authorities/genreForms.html

On Sun, 3/22/15, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net> wrote:

 Subject: Re: Proposed new Schema.org type for poetry and fiction
 To: public-vocabs@w3.org
 Date: Sunday, March 22, 2015, 9:31 AM

 I always feel a bit
 worried about creating a hierarchy between
 expression forms (text, sound, illustration)
 and creative types (book,
 article,
 comment). I think its best if these can be treated as
 separate
 facets because they combine in
 various ways. A book can be a picture or
 photograph book, a comment can be made as a
 video or sound file. Every
 time one tries
 to pin down types, someone comes along with one that
 doesn't fit the mold.

 TextObject parallel to MediaObject makes sense,
 but a strict hierarchy
 with article, book,
 comment, etc. would be problematic as those are not
 kinds of texts, they are kinds of publications.
 Kinds of texts could be
 poem, essay,
 novella.... but there's a lot of fuzziness between
 publications and texts and common language use
 does not make clear
 distinctions between
 them. For that reason, I think could be best to
 create something that echoes the mime-type
 concept, and not connect it
 to publication
 types or creative work types, but let those be coded
 separately.

 kc

 On 3/21/15 1:43 PM,
 Wallis,Richard wrote:
 > Liking the the
 definition [1] of 'a resource primarily intended to
 be
 > read’.
 >
 > I’m sure we could argue for a Type
 (TextWork ?) to be fitted between

 CreativeWork and it’s current subTypes Answer, Article,
 Book, Comment,
 > EmailMessage, Question,
 Recipe, Review.

 ~Richard

 2015, at 22:10, Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com
 wrote:

 >> This is a very timely thread for the
 Web Annotation working group in
 >> the
 W3C!

 >> We
 are looking to replace the Dublin Core types[1][2] with the
 richer
 >> schema.org <http://schema.org/> types, but are
 missing a nice
 >> replacement for dctypes:Text.  Having
 a subclass of CreativeWork

 specifically for textual content, to mirror VideoObject,
 ImageObject
 >> and so forth, would
 make this a slam dunk.

 >> Many thanks for your consideration!