Re: Some interesting things that show up when using a reasoner to classify schema.org

Hi Thad:

I think we had a related conversation here on the list in July 2013:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2013Jul/0145.html

;-)

In my opinion, we need the following:

1. A proper documentation of the schema.org meta-model and core modeling assumptions. That is hard and unrewarding work, admittedly.
Only this will help us avoiding extensions and modifcations that break the meta-model. People will otherwise propose elements that duplicate or clash with existing patterns (e.g. QualitativeValue, datatypes, ...) or redefine existing elements.

2. A proper extension mechanism for both types and properties, and guidance on how and when to use the mechanism. This is why I tried hard to define the additionalType property proposal as a generic mechanism.

We are already seeing, and will see more, proposals that require 100+ new types. I do not think we have the resources to carefully review those for any potential clashes with other branches of the schema. IMO it will be better to clearly define and defend the borders of schema.org, while fostering the development and use of additional granularity in publicly endorsed external extensions.

3. Break with the notion of global property names and identifiers and bind their definition and identifier to the type they are used with.

Let's face it: schema.org is the biggest experiment of evolving a global schema in an open process. There have been schemas before that were used broadly, but most of the time determined by a single authority or small group. There have been academic proposals of how a large set of independent schemas can work in theory (but no proof so far). We simply do not know yet how this will work best, as the vocabulary, the user base, and the set of computational operations over the data grows. That's our mission ;-)

Best wishes / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Martin Hepp

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group