Re: Proposal to extend rangeIncludes of DataTypes predicates in schema.org

On Nov 10, 2014, at 4:26 AM, "martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org" <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org> wrote:

> As an alternative, you could also make the schema.org datatypes subtypes of the xsd datatypes.
>
> But IMO, the most important thing is to separate two things:
>
> 1. You want that major search engines tolerate XSD datatype information instead of plain strings for schema.org properties in RDFa. This must be implemented by the search engines; augmenting schema.org would not automatically mean that all consumers will handle that properly (though one could argue that a compliant consumer should do so, then).

The Structured-Data Linter makes equivalence for most schema,org datatypes with their XSD equivalents and allows them, it also checks the lexical form of plain literals to match rangeIncludes.

> 2. It may also be that you want to encourage Web sites to add XSD datatype information to schema.org properties. This will not work, IMO, because
> a) this is impossible in Microdata syntax (no datatype at instance level)

Not entirely true, a conforming Microdata to RDF processor will output a matching @datetime or element content value for a <time> element as a typed literal using the matching xsd datatype. What Google does, however, may be different.

Gregg